What is EMDR therapy?
EMDR is an acronym for Eye Movement Desensitisation and Reprocessing (EMDR). EMDR is a powerful psychological treatment method that was developed by an American clinical psychologist, Dr Francine Shapiro, in the 1980s. As a Senior Research Fellow at the Mental Research Institute, she published the first research data to support the benefits of the therapy in 1989.
Since then a wealth of research has been conducted demonstrating its benefits in treating psychological trauma arising from experiences as diverse as war-related experiences, childhood sexual and/or physical abuse or neglect, natural disaster, assault, surgical trauma, road traffic accidents, and workplace accidents. Since its original development, EMDR is also increasingly used to help individuals with other issues and performance anxiety. EMDR has been found to be of benefit to children as well as adults.
EMDR is a complex and powerful therapy. Therapists always have a background in mental health before undertaking training in EMDR. You are strongly recommended to only consult legitimate clinicians who have undergone a bona-fide EMDR training and are registered or accredited with EMDR Association UK/Europe.
Google EMDR Association UK, click on 'find a therapist to check therapists are accredited.
EMDR Therapy Fees
- £95 per 50min therapy session
- £130 per 80 min therapy session
I work with adults only aged 18+
BUPA and Aviva clients accepted.
The Evidence for EMDR
EMDR research is featured in the New York Times - Dr Francine Shapiro responds to questions. There has been lots of research in EMDR for more information go to:-
EMDR Butterfly Hug
EMDR uses bilateral stimulation including eye movements, bilateral audio taps, and bilateral tapping. The Butterfly hug is one form of bilateral stimulation that works extremely well when working via Zoom or Microsoft Teams. However, I now use a platform called Bilateral Base that is fantastic for providing online EMDR.
Want to know more about EMDR
Looking For Self Help
- To help you cope with anxiety during the current pandemic: https://www.nhs.uk/oneyou/every-mind-matters/
- My Facebook page- healthyminds4u for information and articles.
- For self help information google NHS mental health for a list of helpful Apps. Anxiety UK and Mind website can also offer some help and guidance.
- www.getselfhelp.co.uk for information leaflets and MP3 Downloads.
- Sleep aid by Justin Havens follow the link - http://tiny.cc/stopnightmares
- For people working on the front line carers, nurses, doctors, etc google 1stcontact.net, and view instructional videos.
4 Elements of Stress Reduction
As an EMDR Europe Accredited Clinical Consultant/Supervisor, I offer EMDR Supervision individually and in groups. If you would like to develop your skills and build your confidence in EMDR you have come to the right place.
I am passionate about EMDR and providing EMDR Clinical Supervision is an extremely rewarding part of my work. I enjoy supporting and guiding supervisees from newly trained EMDR therapists to therapists who may have been trained a long time, or who may have stopped using EMDR due to lack of confidence.
- I have supervised for many years in the NHS in my nursing career, and within IAPT completing supervision skills training.
- More recently in 2021 - BPS Essential Supervision Skills (BPS Approved certificate in Clinical Supervision)
- 2022 Advanced Skills in Supervision (BPS Approved)
I believe that my supportive, effective and encouraging style of supervision will get you feeling much more confident, streamline your technical ability and improve client outcomes.
I have additional training and experience in attachment informed EMDR, intergenerational EMDR, working with dreams, the Flash technique, IFS and part work.
For more information and a chat please contact me.
Get Your Free Therapists Self Care E-Book
In the same way that the builder's house will always need work done on it and the mechanic will have a car that is desperate for a service, therapists often don't look after their own mental health. This E-book is predominantly for EMDR Therapists but all therapists can benefit from reading it and implementing the ideas in order to look after themselves, improve their mental well-being and in turn give them the strength to look after others.